Welcome back to our Summer Term. I hope that you have been able to notice some of the seasonal changes that are taking place around us, I found a frog at my door so I took a picture!
There are new learning activities for you to complete and some new fun stuff too! Don't forget to check your Purple Mash account too!
Social Communication and Language Activities
Just below this information you will find a set of folders containing Year 4 work. Each folder contains Maths and English activities for each day of the week, focusing on the key skills of arithmetic, reading comprehension and grammar, some of the activities have the answers attached so the children can check their work and understanding. You will also find a science folder containing work on our current studies – The Digestive System. The Topic folder contains tasks relating to our studies throughout the Summer Term in preparation for our learning. There is also a folder that provides links to year 4 activities through the ‘Twinkl’ portal – if you click on the document it will take the children to specific year 4 learning activities. The children can also access work through the https://www.purplemash.com/login/ this is particularly important for rehearsing their multiplication facts.
Many thanks for your support
Miss Adkins and the Year 4 teaching team
World Book Day Word List
Welcome back to an exciting ‘Spring Term’ in Year 4
It’s great to be back at school. We have a very exciting term of learning ahead of us. You will find the following information useful for the Spring Term.
Your class teaching team is
Miss Adkins – Class teacher
Mrs Parker – Teaching Assistant
Mrs Roberts – Teaching Assistant
You will need to remember to bring your P.E kit on Wednesday.
We will be swimming on a Tuesday, please remember to bring your kit to school on that day.
On Thursday you will be given homework, it should be returned to school by Tuesday. You should aim to read and learn your spellings on a daily basis. You will have a weekly spelling and multiplication quiz.
Our topic this term is the ‘Rainforest’ and it’s an opportunity to learn all about one of the most precious resources on our planet.
Did you know that:-
- 1) Only around 6% of Earth’s land surface is rainforest – but about half of all animal and plant species live there!
- 2) In Central American rainforests, rival strawberry poison dart frogs might wrestle for up to 20 minutes!
- 3) It can take ten minutes for a falling raindrop to travel from a rainforest’s thick canopy to the floor.
- 4) A tree known as the idiot fruit grows in Australia’s Daintree rainforest.
- 5) The rhinoceros hornbill bird from southeast Asian rainforests has a hornlike structure on its head that looks like an extra beak.
As geographers we will be studying the Rainforests of the world. We will study the layers of the rainforests. We will learn about the climate of rainforests. We will study the environmental threats to the rainforest. Our activities will include being able to
- Identify where rainforests are on a world map, including the countries they are in- focusing on South America and the Amazon
- Identify where the equator is and the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn
- To be able to describe the climate at the equator
- To describe the climate in tropical rainforests
- To describe the geographical features of a rainforest
- To understand the distribution of natural resources of the Amazon to the Western World.
- To investigate Palm Oil and the dangers towards orangutans and deforestation
- To know the layers of the rainforests and the physical features
As artists we will be studying the artwork of Oenone Hammersley. We will create rainforest paintings and prints. We will develop our observational drawing Collage & Sculpture.
As designers we will be studying the design of pop up books with moving parts all based on a story that we have written about the Amazon.
As members of our community we will raise awareness of the destruction of the rainforest and the dangers to animals that live there. We will write to our families and friends to inform them of the dangers to animals and to ourselves as the destruction of the Rainforest continues.
As enterprising people we will design an outline idea for a computer game that will raise the awareness of other children about the effect of the destruction of the rainforest on the survival of rainforest creatures.
As people who are concerned about our environment we will explore the effects of deforestation on the rainforest. We will try to understand how companies are responsible for endangering animals in the rainforests. We will research how the rainforest is depleting and what effect that will have on our planet, animals and local tribes people. We will learn about how sugar and cocoa are in products that we eat.
In our spiritual and moral development we will develop our empathy towards the environment. We will develop our moral understanding to protect endangered animals. We will discuss through our class novel how hunters kill animals such as tigers to sell their fur, bones and teeth. We will discuss whether it is right for people in some parts of the world to pay high amounts of money to have baby orangutans taken from their mother’s to be a pet.
Our Class novel is
Please keep checking this page for more information, links to websites and lots of photographs of our learning.